Source: The Sangai Express
Imphal, August 28:
With an apparent intention of intensifying its agitation, the Sadar Hills District Demand Committee has convened a meeting tomorrow of all units to chalk out future course of action in its pursuit for upgrading Sadar Hills to a full fledged revenue district.
Confirming the meeting schedule, general secretary of the agitating Committee T Misao expressed that the stir might be re-enforced after three-four days in order to facilitate employees in Sadar Hills withdraw their salary during the relaxation period.
while asserting that 'our struggle' will continue till the legitimate demands are honoured by the Government, the Committee functionary also confided that any legal action initiated by the Government on the issue would be faced accordingly in the court of law.
with reference to the recent Government announcement of fixing responsibility against sponsors of bandhs, blockades and other form of disruptive agitations and what recourse would the Committee resort to, Misao said "we will take it as double jeopardy against us without respecting our 30 year of struggle for the rightful demand." The Committee had observed a 48 hour bandh in Sadar Hills areas since yesterday affecting normal activities.
On the otherhand, superintendent of Police of Senapati district Nishit kumar Ujwal said a two company strong personnel of India Reserve Battalion and Manipur Rifles have been deployed at all strategic locations of Sadar Hills as pre-emptive measure against any untoward incidents.
Informing that Government offices sealed by agitation supporters have been reopened so as to enable resumption of normal chores in these institutions, the police official also conceded that no arrest had been made in connection with the stir.




