Muivah leaves on positive note
Source: The Sangai Express

New Delhi, July 04: Top NSCN (I-M) leadership, which left India last night after an over six-month-long stay here, is hopeful of a peaceful and honourable settlement of the Naga issue.

�The time will come soon ...

The Indian side knows that without a solution, there will be endless problems.

We too are equally determined to solve the problem,� NSCN(I-M) general secretary Thuingaleng Muivah said before leaving for Amsterdam late last night.

�The Government of India has told us about their sincere commitment to resolve the issue.

This sincere commitment has also been given to us by the Prime Minister and Madam (Sonia) Gandhi.

�They told us that they are totally committed to find a peaceful solution.

We believe in their sincere commitment and thank them.

We have to do our best to bring a solution acceptable to both sides.

We have the will to solve the problem�, Muivah told a large gathering of Naga students and youth at the IGI Airport.

NSCN(I-M) sources said the peace talks between them and the Government, which are now at a �delicate stage�, would continue even abroad.

The top Naga leadership was also likely to return to India later this year to carry forward the peace process.

Muivah�s departure comes weeks ahead of the scheduled expiry of the ceasefire between security forces and the insurgent outfit on July 31.There is a strong likelihood of the ceasefire, which is continuing since 1997, being extended for another year.

Muivah and chairman Isak Chishi Swu arrived here in December last year and had spent several weeks in Nagaland meeting a cross-section of society, including the apex tribal body Naga Ho Ho, the NGOs, representatives of students, youths and women�s organisations and the church.

They also held talks with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi, the Group of Ministers on the Naga issue and leaders of various political parties.

This was the second time that top NSCN(I-M) leaders interacted with top Indian leaders since the truce with the government was set in motion in 1997.In January 2003, Swu and Muivah had visited Delhi and met the then Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee and his deputy L K Advani.