Indefinite NH-39 bandh called
Source: The Sangai Express

Imphal, February 24: Strongly denouncing the arrest of two youths today and the harassments meted out to the family members of Kh Bikash, numerous organisations of Khangabok have decided to impose an indefinite bandh on NH-39 from tomorrow morning.

The bandh will be in force till the arrested persons are released.

The two youths were arrested by Thoubal police commandos today after the Mangani Leihul of Bikash .

The police also reportedly roughed up two women including an elderly woman and fired tear gas shells.

Reporters who had gone to cover the incident were informed by the local people that after the Mangani Leihul of Bikash, Thoubal police commandos arrived at Khangabok Makha Leikai and picked up two youths.

The two youths helped in performing the Mangani Leihun.

They were picked up while they were on their way to Thoubal on some errands on a motor cycle.

The two youths have been identified as Thokchom Nabakumar (21) and Saikhom Abung (20) of Khangabok Makha Leikai.

As news of their arrest spread people of Khangabok and meira paibis converged at the office of the Thoubal SP and demanded their release.

As the police did not heed their pleas, the people blocked NH-39 and staged a sit-in-protest.

The police then fired tear gas shells, rubber bullets and opened blank fire to disperse the protestors.

Abung's mother who was demanding the release of her son was gun butted and she suffered injuries on her hands and other parts of the body.

Abung's sister, Sangita who rushed to the side of her mother was hit by rubber bullets on the right side of the stomach.

The mother was rushed to Thoubal hospital while her daughter was treated at the locality.

Abung's wife who fainted was also rushed to Thoubal hospital.

Stating that the police have been harassing the people of Khangabok ever since the February 20 incident, the late man's elder brother Lukhoi said that if it will serve any purpose the three brothers of Bikash will commit self immolation.