JE starts to exact heavy toll, some dead
Source: The Sangai Express

Imphal, July 29: Even as the State is in the grip of the outbreak of bird flu and the health machinery are preparing to meet any eventualities, reports coming in have confirmed at least two deaths due to the dreaded Japanese Encephalitis while three to four others may also have been infected with the disease.

Though not yet official, reports have come in that some patients suffering from Japanese Encephalitis or Meningo Encephalitis were admitted to RIMS and JN Hospital during the months of June and July while two deaths have been officially confirmed at RIMS.

Speaking to The Sangai Express Superintendent of RIMS said that three/four cases of Japanese Encephalitis were referred to RIMS during June and July with two deaths being recorded officially.

As per official reports received by The Sangai Express at least two have died at RIMS due to Japanese Encephalitis during the month of July alone.

Japanese Encephalitis is spread through mosquito bites.

The two victims include a six year old kid, Rahima from Lilong Haoreibi Makha Leikai and Md Masurur (41) of the same locality.

According to the death certificates issued by RIMS, Masurur was admitted on July 22 and passed away on July 25 at about 3.20 am due to Meningo Encephalitis while Rahima was admitted on July 6 and passed away on July 8 at the Paediatric ward.

When contacted, RIMS Superintendent Dr Y Mohen said that three or four patients with Japanese Encephalitis were admitted to RIMS during June and July.

According to another source, a patient was admitted to RIMS with similar symptoms but was later shifted to a private clinic.

The patient however passed away after a few days.

The source said that the patient was a woman and hailed from Bamon Kampu area.

Another person from the same locality passed away after showing the same symptoms earlier.

There is also strong talk doing the round that at least three persons have passed away after showing symptoms of Japanese Encephalitis.

The report is however yet to be confirmed officially.

The Hobby on Target Association has urged the authority to take up precautionary measures following the confirmed deaths of two persons from the disease.