Industry Minister hums MANIDCO revival tune
Source: The Sangai Express

Imphal, July 18: Commerce and Industries Minister Th Debendra today informed the House during question hour that though the Government had earlier decided to close down the Manipur Industrial Development Corporation, efforts are underway to revive it.

Replying to a question raised by Thanga AC MLA S Ibohal who stood in for Moirang AC MLA S Gopal, the Industries Minister said that though MANIDCO was initially set up to finance industrial units in the State, it has stopped playing this role and at present it is concentrating on improving its infrastructure.

To a further question, the Minister said that though the Government had earlier decided to shut down the Corporation, it is now trying to revive it as it is the only institution present in Manipur to provide financial assistance to industrial units.

Elaborating, Debendra said that MANIDCO is still to recover about Rs 60 crores from the loanees while it owes about Rs 17 crores to SIDBI and IDBI.

The Minister said that SIDBI and IDBI have been approached to write off 75 percent of the interest payable to them.

The State Government has also proposed that it would first pay 25 percent of the amount owed and pay the remaining 75 percent over a period of time.

On a positive note, Debendra said that there is strong likelihood that SIDBI and IDBI will agree to the proposals of the State Government.

He also appealed to all the loanees to pay up up their dues and help MANIDCO to get back on its feet.

To a question from Khurai AC MLA N Bihari, Debendra replied that no beneficiary list has been drawn in the 2002-03 fiscal for giving khadi loans.

The Minister further said there are a number of contentious issues involving the khadi loan as well as Court cases.

At the moment the Government is in the process of filing appeals.

Flood relief: To a question from Chandel AC MLA BD Behring, Chief Minister O Ibobi informed the House that between December last year and February this year, the Centre released Rs 707 lakhs as' relief for the devastating flood that hit the State last year.

So far Rs 50 thousand has been distributed to the affected people, said the Chief Minister adding that efforts are underway to identify the people affected by the flood.

Roads and bridges: Works Minister Gaikhangam informed the House that funds released by the Centre under the Central Road Fund cannot be utilized fully for constructing the Ngariyan road due to undue interference from some elements.

Responding to a question raised by Andro AC MLA S Chandra, the Works Minister said that work orders have been issued to repair and construct roads in Andro AC.

Referring to one specific case, the MLA countered that though work has started on record, the road has not been repaired and cannot be used.

To a question from Karong AC MLA Henry Paotei, the Minister said that PWD had finished the earth formation process and constructing pipe culverts on the Senapati-Phaibung stretch at a cost of Rs 1.32 crore.

The remaining work has been entrusted to the BRO, added the Minister.

A sum of Rs 3.689 has been deposited with the BRO to take up the remaining work.

Gaikhangam also said that roads are under construction at Singjamei AC under IBR and ODR.