State Police yet to recover three weapons lost in Mao gate incident
Source: Hueiyen News Service

Imphal, June 17 2010: Even though arms snatched by the mob at Ukhrul district headquarters had been returned to the police under an agreement, three weapons which were snatched away from the state security personnel by mob at Mao gate are yet to be returned or recovered.

A police officer today said that the three arms, one AK-47 rifle along with three magazines allotted to a policeman and two tear gas guns, one each from a policeman and a rifleman of MR had been snatched away by the protesters at Mao gate on May 6 last.

The weapons are yet to recovered, he said.

Bodies spearheading the protest against erection of barricade to prevent entry of NSCN (IM) general secretary, Th Muivah were also not efforting to return the arms, the official added.

Mention may be made that two youths, all hailing from Mao, lost their live in the melee and many other injured in the police action to disperse the mob from storming the barricade at Mao gate manned by state police commandos, IRB and Manipur Rifles.

Mob also burnt down a police vehicle (MN01-1087 MT/IW) apart from destroying rations of the MR personnel in which security forces resorted in firing tear gas and guns.

Manipur government is conducting a magisterial inquiry into the incident.

The DC Senapati district who is also the district magistrate is heading the enquiry which the period which expired on May 31 was extended for one more month, till June 31 next.

Police registering a case under section 148/149/307/35/353/384/188/427/34 of IPC of the Mao police station is also investigating into the case, the source said.

Meanwhile, the source also said that after the 15 SLRs and one Carbine which were snatched by the irate mob of Ukhrul late on June 2 night had handed over to the Deputy Commissioner (DC), Ukhrul on the next day, the more missing arm was recovered later by the police.

The incident of snatching the weapons occurred June 2 late night during clashes between the angry residents of Ukhrul town and the state security force personnel.

Sixteen arms were returned to the authority after a memorandum of understanding was signed between DC Ukhrul and SP Ukhrul on one side and Tangkhul Co-ordination Committee on the other side after hour long deliberation over the matter.