State forces withdraw, vacated barrack torched
Source: The Sangai Express

Imphal, June 18 2010: State security forces, including police commando units, stationed at Jessami in Ukhrul district and Senapati district's Liyai village to prevent entry of NSCN (IM) general secretary Th Muivah's entry to manipur have been pulled out.

An informed source said the State forces, deployed to plug possible entry points of Th Muivah since june 3 left these border villages late last night and have arrived at their respective camps.

Villages of Liyai and Jessami in Manipur are located at the inter-state border areas with Nagaland.

The State forces were deployed at these locations following intelligence inputs that the Naga rebel leader might cross into Manipur enroute to Ukhrul district using either Liyai in Senapati district or Jessami village of Ukhrul.

Th Muivah left Viswema village near nagaland capital Kohima on June 4 to proceed to Phek district trigerring speculations that he might try to enter Ukhrul through Jessami village.

However, after staying at Pfutsero sub-division of phek district, the general secretary left the district without entering Manipur.

As a part of the State Government's steps to foil Muivah's entry into manipur, State forces in large number were deployed at mao area in the early part of May before being replaced by personnel of 4th IRB on May 29 .

On the otherhand, unidentified persons torched an unoccupied barrack at Taphou village in Senapati district.

personnel of Manipur Rifles units of 9 battalion used to stay at the barrack some years back before being replaced by the men of 7th battalion after the former was absorbed to the BSF, said a police source.

The empty barrack was reportedly torch on the intervening night of June 17-18, the source added.

A case has been registered at Senapati police station to investigate on the matter even as security force personnel have been redeployed at the site of incident.

According to Newmai News Network, miscreants torched the abandoned security barrack at around 2 am today causing damage to ceiling and other wooden parts of the pucca structure used by the security forces.

The burnt down barrack was used by 9th Manipur Rifles camping at Taphou village when they were on road opening duty when need arises.

This is the second incident in which a security barrack located on the side of the Imphal-Mao section of the NH-39 was burnt down since commencement of the economic blockade imposed by ANSAM.

A security barrack at Khongnem on the same stretch of the highway within Senapati district was also torched in May when the blockade was intensified coinciding with ban on the entry of NSCN (IM) leader Th Muivah.

The arson of the barrack came amid the state government's move to deploy CRPF personnel on the section of the highway sent by the Centre for opening the highway from economic blockade.

The Centre has sent six companies of CRPF including one women company for deployment on selected sensitive locations along the highway.

The deputy commissioner of Senapati district has been reportedly asked to identify the sensitive areas where security personnel need to be deployed.

The women company who arrived at Imphal yesterday has left for Senapati district headquarters today, an official report said adding that other companies also started arriving at Senapati.